Sunday, August 7, 2011

Walmart - Another price matching success story, and a few things I learned


I learned a few things tonight while price matching at Walmart. I will give those lessons first so those not local with these ads don't have to search.

1. I found out there IS a limit to the amount of Credit Cards you can pay with in one transaction. Apparantly, that limit is 5! How do I know this? Well, I was using all those $5 gas cards from the Kelloggs Cars 2 promo and when trying to scan the 6th one, it told the cashier I had exceeded the bank card limit. Good thing my total was only .92 at that point!

2. My Walmart has some strange rules on coupons that beep (and this troubled me just a little bit!) I was attempting to use the $1 off any Tide to purchase the trial size packages @ .97 each. My coupons beeped stating no match was purchased. When the CSM came over, she informed me I could not use my coupons because the first 5 numbers of the bar code on my coupon must match the item I was purchasing(WHAT!!!! Walmart is NOW in the business of decoding barcodes rather than reading the coupon and realizing I was buying a participating product per the wording! EEEK!)

I was very very excited about the pork ribs deal I scored with price matching. I price matched a total of 6 ads tonight, so a HUGE savings on money and time and gas! I will break down by the ad I price matched (I will also throw in a few other matchups I thought were pretty good but my store either didn't have stock, or the stock didn't look to good)

My total came to $25.92 but I picked up a few items my husband needed wanted that I did not have coupons for.  (he cooks for full now so I cannot complain!)
Wine (ok that was for me :P) $4.97
Simply OJ (ok mine again, love this stuff) $2.98
Yeast .98
Corn meal $2.04
Celery (he read a blog that said if you bury the core, you will never buy celery again, lol) $1.18
So that was $12.15 of my $25.92 purchase

Fiesta ad:
Seedless grapes $1.59/lb = 2.61 (their price 1.88 so savings of .47)
Bell peppers .39 each (these varied in price by color, up to ~ 1.80 each for the red and yellow!)

Food Town:
Roma tomatoes .69/lb = .41 (their price .88/lb so savings of .20)

Foodarama:
Plums .88/lb = .60 (their price 1.25/lb so savings of .25)
Peaches .88/lb = .57 (their price 3/$1? is that right savings of .43)
Bananas 3lbs/$1 = .68 (their price .47/lb so savings of .27)

Save a Lot
White Onions 3lbs/$1 = .41 (their price ? I forgot to write down, but it was more than the ad)

Sellers Brothers
Watermelon $1.50 each (these were 3.88 each Walmart price, saving of 2.38)
Large grade a eggs dozen $1 each (their price ~ 1.48 ish - again did not write down)
Country Style pork ribs $1.59/lb = 3.42 and $3.77 a pack (savings of $6.80)
-2 $2 pork coupons = 4 lbs of ribs for $3.19!!!!!!!!

HEB
Strawberries $1.28 (they were ~ 1.5x store price)

I also found Ben Gay priced at $4.27 for the yellow box.  I used my last $5 IP (no longer available) to make it a small money maker!


Don't understand my lingo? Go here.   Some links provided in this post may help fund my blog - see my disclosure statement here.

7 comments:

Colie's Kitchen said...

Oh wal-mart why must you complicate everything lol! I have never heard such a thing before about the numbers matching, but I still don't trust them 100% yet. ;-)

Kyle and Ali said...

Oh, Wally World and their CSMs that make up rules about their coupons. They always seem to do that for me too. I really hate ignorance.

Deb said...

I think she was just making it up as well. I have actually tried to match coupon numbers to product bar code numbers before, and they just don't. (I've also tried to scan the coupon at the price-scanners, and they don't work there, either. ;) I forget what information I was hoping to get from it.)

Caramel Diva said...

i hate walmart especially their coupon policy.

nice haul!!!!

Anonymous said...

another thing i learned is that they cannot price match produce unless it's price per pound. i tried to get fiesta's ad for pears 5/$1 and they said they needed price per pound :/

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to save on gas and time!!I just started couponing...could you explain to me how you price match? You just brought the 5 ads to the checkout lane? Do all Walmart stores do this? Thanks for the info.

katycouponers said...

Anon, it is Walmart corporate policy that they price match (you can find that policy here http://walmartstores.com/10563.aspx)

They claim you don't need to bring the ads in, but I do to speed things up and to confirm they will have all the ads I want to price match. I just separate those items on the belt by ad and let the cashier know I am price matching. Been a great time (and gas) saver and I can find MOST the produce there I want to price match

Post a Comment