Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Revlon deal at Walgreens - Hit or Miss, Attempt at your own risk

Ok, so Sunday I went to Hip2Save's Walgreens matchups like I always do and saw the awesome Revlon deal she had posted. I didn't get a chance to run the deal until Monday and if there were updates on the forums or her blog, I did not get a chance to read them because work has me extremely busy lately.
For those that do not know the deal, Revlon cosmetics are 40% off and when you purchase $10 worth of participating products you get a $3 RR. Couple that with the $2 Revlon Walgreens store coupon in the insert 7-24 SS and the $1 Revlon manuf coupon in the insert 8-14 or 7-24 SS, and you have yourself a pretty smoking deal, or so I thought.
So Monday I went in and purchased the 2 single eyeshadows for $2.99 sale price and 1 Lip gloss for $4.49. That comes to $10.47 before coupons and $1.47 after. I paid and waited and NO $3 cat :(
So my wonderfully awesome BA (beauty aide) at my favorite Walgreens suggested I might need to buy the colorstay since that is what the ad was featuring.  I was pretty sure that was not the trick, but she suggested we try anyway and she would just void the transaction.
So she rang up 3 Colorstay which totaled ~ $14 after sale but before coupons.  Then she scanned ONLY the $2 Wags coupon which dropped total down to ~ $7, cat did NOT print.
So next she rang up the 3 Colorstay without any coupons and it printed.  BINGO, we learned the transaction has to be over $10 AFTER Walgreens coupon but before manufacturer coupons.(we knew manufacturer coupons were NOT the problem because they were beeping regardless of what I bought so she was manually entering those in)

By then, I didn't have time to regroup and buy anything as my lunch time was up and I had to hurry back.  Well, today I went back to test our little theory and had mixed results
Transaction #1

11 single color eye shadow $2.99 each = 32.89
-2 revlon store coupon (takes off 2 for each so $22) = $10.89 (yay, above the $10)
-11 $1 insert
=-.11
*You will obviously need to buy something else using this scenario as otherwise you are negative, I purchased the Colgate Sensitive toothpaste
The $3 Catalina printed, YIPPEE!

Then, we decided to try the nail polish, which should have also been $2.99
Well, it seems 1 of the 11 I picked up rang up $2.87 NOT $2.99, so while the math comes out ok, the catalina did not print.

10 x 2.99 + 2.87 = $32.77
-$22 for wags store coupon = $10.77
-$11 for $1 insert = -.23
I tried to throw in a .15 notebook and it would not take the in-ad coupon. That should of triggered me that something rang up funny. Although it was above the $10 I personally think the nail polish that rang up $2.87 was probably an older upc number that was never programmed in to the catalina promotion, ARGH!

So, if you choose to do this deal, watch the register closely to make sure everything rings up exactly 40% off the regular price of the item or you might have the same experience I have.
If you have a less than friendly store, I really suggest you try ringing up this transaction at the cosmetics counter.  If you were not aware, the BA gets a small commission on the number of cosmetic items they sell and so they are more likely to welcome your coupons to help their paycheck!  You might even become friends with one as I have and then they are willing to "trial" some transactions for you from time to time.  I of course try not to abuse and even though my cat did not print on the second go round, I kept the nail polish.  It was worth the .38 to test it out :P

Don't understand my lingo? Go here.  
Some links provided in this post may help fund my blog - see my disclosure statement here.

8 comments:

A said...

U work on sundays? Which wags do u go yo in SL that the BA is so nice?

Colie's Kitchen said...

WOW you must have the most wonderful beauty aid to go through all of that. Most people would not have done that for a customer! That is really sweet!!

katycouponers said...

I do not work Sundays, I stated I pulled the info off h2s on Sunday and I went Monday ;)

Yes Colie, my BA and I are on a first name basis, in fact the whole store knows me and is very nice to me because they know I follow the rules ;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up this worked out West Gray/River Oaks Walgreens!!

erika said...

Hi today I tied to do this at my Walgreens in Conroe the eyeshawdow was still 40% off but the cashier at first didn't want to scan my $1 coupon because it just showed the picture of nail polish and lipstick then when I told her that it didn't specify on the cosmetic she said fine (with a bad attitude) then the register didn't want to take it so she asked do you still want to buy or not (bad attitude again ) I said yes only because I liked the color :( what Walgreens do you shop in ? I am willing to drive so that your nice BA can help me out lol

katycouponers said...

Sorry but my BA asked that I don't share her name or store (she knows I am a coupon blogger) Her store manager is not the nicest but knows me as I have been shopping there for at least 6 yrs. I work really really hard to build up relationships with my stores I frequent and thus they tend to be nice to me as they know I am there every week. I would share but unfortunately every site and blog has lurkers who are all out rude at checkout and then try to name drop. I had this happen after a coupon class in a Kroger and the next time I was in that Kroger I was informed a class participant was cussing out the cashier, not good and in our classes we try to remind everyone to be firm BUT POLITE in stores. So I apologize, but I will not share names of cashiers or managers at my store and suggest everyone to start building up relationships in your stores. Just today at CVS the cashier told me he likes when I come in because I am one of the "honest" couponers and he loves seeing the deals out there :)

erika said...

Thanks for your answer but I am an honest couponer I wasn't trying to do a fradulent transaction nor was I rude to the cashier. And I do understand about not shareing the names.

katycouponers said...

erika, I am sorry if I came across as implying you were not an honest couponer. I meant that there are lurkers that never comment etc that read this and then go and behave rudely or fradulently at a store I shop and then try to name drop my name as a oh but Stephanie sent me and then that reflects badly on me.

Post a Comment