Saturday, August 20, 2011

Off Topic - Shopping NOT worth blogging about

First a quick warning to my husband: If you are reading this do NOT tell Zoey! I want her to be totally suprised when she comes home. (dh took the kids for the weekend so I could accomplish stuff at home :)

Second warning to readers, if you are looking to see if this a coupon or savings deal, it is not. I am avoiding most shopping this weekend due to the crazy crowds. Stayed home today to work on fixing things on my blog (check out the spiffy new header :) and to wait for my folks to deliver my nieces old bed.

And that brings me to my post today. I spent $50 today and used ZERO coupons GASP!!!! ON what you ask? Well, my daughter has a small room that is crammed full of little toys that are a constant annoyance to me. I can't really tell her to put them away because there is no where to put them. Well, the bed my niece let us have is much taller and has so much space under it, I bought these clear Sterilite bins and now my daughters toys can be hidden from view AND organized at the same time!
I am SOOOO happy to have this cluttered mess hidden away from view. Check it out.
Yes the bed is messy but I got tired of working on her stuffed animals and will complete that before she gets home tomorrow!


Here I have a close up shot of the bins. I will have these on both sides of the bed for all her little toys. I have raised the bed skirt so you can see how it looks. Ignore the blurry cat in the corner, she has been following me around all day!

And here is it with the bed skirt down, mostly hiding the clutter but looking so much more organized :)

So readers, while I work on cleaning up the blog a little more, why don't you tell me how you go about organizing the little messes in your house? I am horrible at figuring out how to keep organized and would love some tips from you!

Don't understand my lingo? Go here.   Some links provided in this post may help fund my blog - see my disclosure statement here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is my opinion that boys' rooms are easier to organize than girls' rooms. Especially now that Desiree has come up with her own style of organization which is totally opposite of my own style. I like things hidden away where no one can see them. Desiree likes everything out so she can see everything she has. She has organized messes all over her room. Piles of this and piles of that. Drives me nuts.

Kate said...

I hate cleaning the bathrooms in my house. To make it more manageable, I got four buckets and labeled them: Toilet, Non-Toilet, and restock. I put the supplies I will need in those buckets: toilet has the clorox, clr, toilet brush (we have babies and it's impractical to keep a toilet brush by the toilets), rubber gloves, sponge, non-toilet (to me, this is the sink, the outside of the toilet, and the mirrors) has rags, windex, disinfectant wipes, restock has toilet paper, hand towels, trash bags. In order to not have a completely disgusting house, I have to go through and do all these tasks EVERY week. But at least I don't have to do all of them at once. I find it much easier to grab a bucket full of the exact supplies I need and just get that stuff done for all the bathrooms at once - usually each different bucket is done on a different day. This works for me because I worry about the bleach and windex mixing if I clean it on the same day.

katycouponers said...

Kate, that is a GREAT idea, I might have to start using that because I really hate going to 4-5 different spots to get all the supplies

Christy... Guinea said...

When my boys were old enough to recognize pictures and small words I made stickers with pictures of their toys and put them on the outside of the bins. That way they could put the toys away neatly not all dumped into one bin.

Brittany said...

We had a little tikes toy box with 2 shelves on it, I bought baskets at CVS one year @ 75% off. (all different sizes) They went on the shelves with trucks/cars, blocks, "tools", ect. And most of DS's bigger toys fit in the toybox, it was by far my favorite toy box EVER! (This was in his closet also, so we didn't have to worry about looking at the baskets) :) Now my oldest has a 6 cube wire shelf I got from target, not the prettiest but it's all I could afford. (again, in his closet, so no big deal) I have a couple different containers for it (Chilrens reusable totes, 2 bags fit in a cube. And I've used the large square kitty litter boxes also. The purple boxes, the litter isn't actually in this box, it just holds 2 containers), and a few cubes hold puzzles, and boxed items so they can stack easily. I have a few larger toys ontop also. I LOVE it, sadly we have way too many toys for it still. ahh....waiting for the day when DS doesn't get upset about getting rid of SOME toys.

E said...

Great organization!

It is good also to have the stuffed animals in closed plastic containers for fresher air etc....

E said...

Great organization!

The stuffed animals in plastic containers is good for fresher air etc....

The Martin Family said...

I have a very cluttered back door with no mud room space. So we need somewhere to hang light sweaters/jackets and all of our bags/backpacks ect. So I hung a dry erase board high so only I can reach, our alarm and pool controls in the middle with a clock next to it, and below it, I hung a 6 hook bar. It's fantastic! Low enough for the kids, but nothing hits the ground. I love it!
I also bought stacking open bins for my understairs closet. I need about 100 more...but for now, it's working great for all the random stuff that just gets thrown in...at least now it has a home.

Avery Q. Poner said...

I know it looks very neat with the tops on it but it would be easier for them if you use longer boxes and no tops on it. That way they just throw their toys in and push it back under the bed. And they can have room to search for the toys they are looking for. A even better idea is to those big bucket the size of a trash can but half the size in height. When they finish playing with their toys just throw them into the basket. Or you can get your husband to build you some shelves on the wall and put open container on the shelf without the lids. Some how when you put the lids on the containers they dont play with the toys in it.

Post a Comment