Friday, October 7, 2011

Pampers - Any deals????


I have to admit I have been out of the diaper business for some time now (YAY!) but do buy the HOT deals for my niece who just started.
BUT I have been asked by quite a few of my readers where a good place is to use the $10 off Pampers coupon that came in last weeks paper. For those of you who have no idea what coupon I am talking about, it looks like this:


Anyway, while out and around town this week price checking a few other things and doing my usual strolling through stores looking for new blinkies or clearance deals, I tried to write down (or take a picture with my phone) of pricing out and about. I got said pricing for Randalls, HEB, Kroger and Toys R Us, so at least that is a start. Most stores have an extra "perk" when buying from them which I will outline below. The prices were the same for any size, but for my per diaper pricing I am going to use size 3 since that is one size my kids spend a TON of time in and it is
a nice average size to gauge a better per diaper price. Just know if your little one is in a smaller size, the price per diaper will be cheaper (more diapers per pack) and if your child is larger, then your price per diaper will be a bit higher. Also, I am using the count on the Pampers Baby Dry since that is a more basic diaper then the Cruisers and thus a bit cheaper per diaper since more come to a pack.

Ok so here we go:

Kroger has closeout pricing of $25.49 a box so you are guaranteed to find your size (since this is clearance)

So $25.49 x 2 = $50.98 - $10 =$40.98 / 288 (144 diapers per pack x 2) = .142292 per diaper or .14 a diaper rounding. A pretty decent price.
****
HEB has pricing of $33.97 but also has a bonus of a coupon for free Glad with Febreze Trash bags (7.48 value) wyb a box of diapers(certain diaper size restrictions on the coupon)
So $33.97 x 2 = $67.94 -$10 = $57.94/ 288 = .201181 or .20 a diaper.
So you gotta ask yourself, is an extra $16.96 worth paying to get 2 free boxes of trash bags, probably NOT
****
Randalls has pricing of $29.99 BUT also has a 3 day ad deal for a $10 catalina if you spend $75 ($75 spend has to be AFTER all Randalls store coupons) Also, at the Randalls I priced, they appeared to ONLY carry size 3 in the qualifying box size.
So $29.99 x 2 = $59.98 - $10 = $49.98 / 288 = .173542 or .17 a diaper

BUT if you were to buy another $15.02 of products you would get a $10 oynso catalina! OR if you are a Recyclebank member you could print the $5 off $50 purchase coupon and buy $20.02 more of product (remember $75 spend has to be AFTER all Randall store discount but before manuf coupons)
So, you spend a little more per diaper to get $20 more of product for $10 after oynso!  Not bad!
Or you could look at is as spend an extra $15 (on $20 worth of stuff) to get diapers down to .14 a diaper.
(ideas in a followup matchup post for Randalls- sorry for the delay)

And finally Toys R Us.  This one is a bit complicated so I hope you are sitting down!
There are a few promos going on right now at TRU, the most important for this deal is that you get a $20 TRU gift card for buying two boxes of Pampers diapers.  Using just that, here is the math:
$45.99 x 2 = $91.98 - $10 = $81.98 -$20 Gift cards(to be used in future transaction) = $61.98 / 288 = .215208 or .21 a diaper
You can also earn an additional $5 gift card for buying a box of wipes with each box of diapers. So, if you buy 2 boxes of Sensitive 384 ct wipes $12.49
so $12.49 x 2 = 24.98 - $1 (2 .50 manuf inserts) - $10 gift cards (to be used in future transaction) = 13.98 for 768 wipes (to me .02 a wipe is a good deal so that is a savings of 1.38 - 768x .02 = 15.36 - 13.98 you spend)
Take your diaper cost 61.98 - 1.38 savings from wipes = 60.60 / 288 diapers = .21 !
Still a bit high and your out of pocket is rather large since you are getting gift cards back.

Don't understand my lingo? Go here.  
Some links provided in this post may help fund my blog - see my disclosure statement here.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Okay, so I am also in Katy. I guess in the babies r us in the woodlands where Tiffany from mylitter lives, the huge boxes were selling for $36ish. But when I went to ours over near Fry and I-10, they were 45.99. Lousy deal if you ask me.

You said your price point is around .14/diaper. I think it depends a lot on the size of diaper. I have a kid in diapers, one in pull-ups, and there will be a newborn in the house in a few months. For me, my price point is about .06-.11 for sizes N-2, .09-.14 for sizes 3-4, .16/size 5, and .18-.19/pullups. I just have never been able to realistically buy size 5 diapers for .14/diaper; the truth is that .16 is pretty hard, too. I feel good if I can beat amazon mom's prices.

I did the randall's deal...sort of. I didn't realize that the size 5's I got were baby dry instead of cruisers, and the restriction on the coupon was 136+ count for baby dry (which to my knowledge does not exist in that count for size 5). The cashier pushed the coupon through anyway, which I didn't notice until I got home. I don't like being deliberately dishonest. Later, I found that there was a $2 discrepancy in the store's favor where the cashier messed up; I decided not to bother loading everybody back in the car to discuss it, especially since she put that coupon through.

The other coupon I used was the store coupon for 3/1 box pampers (up to 4). I think it expires today? It was in last week's flier. The cashier had a copy at the front, which was very nice.

And finally, I also used the P&G esaver -1.50/1 box pampers coupon that I loaded on my randall's card. I didn't do it on purpose. I found out after I had loaded it that technically you're not supposed to do that. Randall's says you can't use two mq's on one item. But on a different section of their site it says you can use two mq's if they are ecoupons. You can't remove the ecoupon once it's loaded, so I decided not to bother. Interestingly, it worked.

I also used a $5 recyclebank coupon.

So my deal was this:
2 boxes baby dry size 5 116 count @ 29.99 = 59.98 - 10 (mq) = 49.98 - 6 (store q's) = 43.98 - 1.50 = 42.48 - 5 = 37.48 /2 (boxes) = 18.74/116 (count per box) = .161/diaper.

If you count the $10 oyno, it would be about .12/diaper. I don't know if I would "count" it that way, but that's just me.

Love your blog, btw.

katycouponers said...

Kate, yes as I state, if your child is in a smaller size that will make them cheaper, .14 is just a rough gauge for an average.
I am not sure why the pricing would be so different on the other side of Houston, but stranger things have happened. Sounds like you got a pretty sweet deal at Randalls on diapers, I must have missed that insert with the Pampers coupon as I still can't seem to find it in my stack.
Thanks for liking my blog. I try to post as much as possible but life always takes a front seat :)

Kate Challis said...

Don't you think it's so weird about combining the manufacturer's coupons with e-manufacturer's coupons? I am really confused about what I should do in order to be honest. I want to follow the rules, you know? I don't want to be involved with coupon fraud. Just because their cash register automatically accepts both of them doesn't necessarily mean that it is "right" to do, right? Yet, their website contradicts itself by saying that you CAN combine mq's if they are both emq's. What!?

Since you're a way more experienced couponer than me, I would really love to know your opinion on this. What is the "right" thing to do?

One of the main reasons I like your blog is because you write with your own voice; I don't feel like I'm sifting through a giant pile of ads. I like hearing local couponers' opinions about sales, deals, and stores way more than I like having a zillion matchups and scenarios for every single deal. I think your blog is really great. I'm glad you write it, and I'm also glad you have a life outside of couponing! haha :)

katycouponers said...

Kate, at one time it was allowed to combine ecoupons and paper coupons and I will admit I highlighted those on my blog. But when it became evident via the terms and conditions laid out by stores concerning this, I stopped highlighting these match up. It seems sometimes it "works" because we all know computers are run by humans, thus wrought with error. Sometimes to the advantage of the couponer and sometimes to the store. I try to keep it honest too and ecoupons are really difficult as you never know if they will actually come off (very frustrating!)

For the most part since the changes I try to not use any coupons on anything that I know has an ecoupon because I keep track of what I load to my card.
It definitely is a gray area and I do make sure I have a print out of my ecoupons, because I watch the register and if they do not come off I either reject the item or if I do not notice the error at register, I go straight to customer service and ask that they fix the error right away. But in my experience, all Safeway stores have their registers fixed to reject the ecoupon and take the paper coupon in its place regardless of whether it is a better deal or not!

Post a Comment