Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Reminder - Walmart a GREAT place for price matching -especially produce



Ok, this post is not gonna mention matchups per se since these end tonight, but I just want to remind you guys who might not be currently taking advantage of this program. I must admit I have had a coupon buddy trying to convince me of this price matching trick, especially on produce, for probably 2-3 years now and I just never really listened. I think partly due to my hatred of Walmart, BUT I have to admit the Walmart near my office has MUCH better produce most days then the HEB near my house. So for the last couple weeks, I have been price matching the various ads and I really got some AWESOME deals this week, due in LARGE part to said coupon buddy mentioned above.
The true trick to this price matching is to accumulate AS many local ads as you possibly can. (I know Walmart commercials claim you don't even need to take the ads in, but I don't feel comfortable leaving my savings in the hands of others, and they may not have ALL the ads available in store).
Well, lucky for me, my coupon bud works in a different part of town so she has access to ads for stores that are in Houston, but the sheer effort to get there is not worth the time OR gas. Well, it seems those stores have WONDERFUL produce prices (try .99 seedless Watermelons, 3 lbs $1 peaches, and 2 lbs $1 Sweet potatoes!!!)

So, the last couple days(I was not organized enough this week to do it in one trip) I have gone to the Walmart literally across the street from my office and painlessly price matched a total of  5 different grocery ads.  Not only did I save money on the purchase price, but I saved on gas and the time it would have taken to go to 5 different stores.

So there are 2 take away lessons for this blog post.
1. Price matching DOES pay in savings (in price, gas AND time)
2. Find a coupon buddy that you can split effort with to get the best return.  My friend supplies me with ads I cannot get easily on my own and I do the same for her, (or trade for stuff that is free after RR or ECB that I have no need for)

ALL these items would have cost me $22.90 by Walmart prices but because of price matching, I got them all at Walmart for $10.89, a savings of $12.01!  I don't feel it took me any longer to check out as I was organized and place the items on the belt by ad and just pointed out the pricing.  Cashiers gave me ZERO hassle and I was in and out and $12 richer just for 1 week of produce shopping!
I have to admit I don't often buy cheeries, but with the price match of $1.99 I picked those up as a treat :)

Special thanks to Maya for a few ads and putting up with me all these years :)
Don't understand my lingo? Go here.   Some links provided in this post may help fund my blog - see my disclosure statement here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment