Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Couponing Advice - Check YOUR ad before wasting your gas!

So.....
It would seems sometimes I read a blog and THINK hey, let me go to store X and get this really hot deal I read about and be super happy.  Well, then I get to said store and am disappointed that I don't have that hot deal!  Well, serves me right for a few reasons.  And the reason for this blog post is so you don't suffer the same fate and waste time and gas and then lose interest in this whole coupon thing!

Well, I read the following matchups on a blog (not blaming the blog here, as again completely my fault for not checking my online ad for accuracy before heading out to store)

Anyway, read the blog and read that I could get the following items at Staples:

* Staples 8.5 x 11″ Multi-purpose Paper $5.99
Submit for the $5.74 Easy Rebate (limit 2 rebates per household)
Final Cost 25¢ each
* HP Everyday 8.5 x 11″ Photo Paper 50 pack $9.99
Submit for the $8.99 Easy Rebate (limit 2 rebates per household)
Final Cost $1 each
* Staples Pastels 8.5 x 11″ Colored Paper 500 sheets $8.79
Submit for the $3.79 Easy Rebate (limit 2 rebates per household)
Final Cost $5 each

So, I went to Staples, armed with my $10/50 from Recyclebank thinking this would be a pretty stellar deal all combined.
(I was gonna get 2 @ $5.99 + 2 @ 9.99 + 2 @ 8.79 , then throw in 2 5 packs of mechanical pencils 2 @ 25¢ = $50.04 + tax - $10/50 = $40.04 + tax but get back $37.04 for an overall cost of ~ $3 + tax)

Well, when I got there and looked at the ad, the Staples Pastels was NOT in the ad as a rebate item.  Not only that, it was not marked on the shelf as such.  Well, that wasn't going to work.  I really didn't need the photo paper (I never print my own since I don't have a good printer for that, so that was just a filler item)
So, in the end, I left empty handed and upset that I wasted my gas.  I could have saved myself the time and gas simply by going to Staples.com to verify the deal first.

So even a seasoned couponer runs into brick walls sometimes and makes silly rookie mistakes!

(On a side note, I did consider a different scenario while there- but didn't get because I am not sure I have a coupon in need of the internet security software, but maybe you do???
If so, my store was doing the two above deals
* Staples 8.5 x 11″ Multi-purpose Paper $5.99
Submit for the $5.74 Easy Rebate (limit 2 rebates per household)
Final Cost 25¢ each
* HP Everyday 8.5 x 11″ Photo Paper 50 pack $9.99
Submit for the $8.99 Easy Rebate (limit 2 rebates per household)
Final Cost $1 each
And if you need Internet Security, they had McAfee Internet security for 1 pc for $39.99 less a $30 mir.
2 @ 5.99 + 2 @ 9.99 + 39.99 = 71.95 - $10/50 = 61.95 + tax
Get back 2 @ 5.74, 2 @ 8.99 and $30 in rebates = 59.46 = $2.49 + tax (not a bad deal!)

So lessons learned:
If ads are available online, always check the ad before you go to the store
Make sure you read at least 1 local blog in hopes they post to confirm the deal is live in your area
Don't go to a Staples that requires you to hit 20 more red lights to get home if you already suffer from road rage ;P

Don't understand my lingo? Go here.   Some links provided in this post may help fund my blog - see my disclosure statement here.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed at "Don't go to a Staples that requires you to hit 20 more red lights to get home if you already suffer from road rage"
yea...I'm sick of wasting my gas and time, too. Even if it's a local sale, lately I"ve been calling first (ie: Walgreens) to see if they even have the item in stock, as I'm tired of getting there only to find the shelf empty. Jennifer

Post a Comment