Tuesday, November 2, 2010

CVS - Interesting run today


I had to run to CVS today because I had an $18 ECB expiring. My plan was to purchase Dawn, Toy Story 3, and 2 Oral B toothbrushes. When I got to the checkout, the cashier told me their store did not get Toy Story but I could purchase the participating items and a coupon for the movie would print at the bottom of my receipt and I could use it at any other CVS to get the movie for $3.99. I had to run back and grab the Olay bodywash and Secret deodorant to cover my $18 ECB so this is what my transaction was like:

26 Dawn hand renewal .97 each - 1 $1 homemailer - 25 .50 insert 10-31 P&G = $11.72
2 Oral B toothbrushes $4.99 each - $3 insert 10-31 P&G = $3.98
1 Secret trial size $1.49
1 Olay bodywash $7 -$5 wyb Secret insert 10-31 P&G = $2
Total : $19.19 - $18 ecb
Tax: .10
Paid $1.29 oop

Here is where the interesting part happens. Cashier looks at my receipt before handing it to me and says "This has been happening all day" She quickly scanned my receipt, grabbed an ad and starting typing on the screen. Then, she handed me my receipt with a $3 ECB attached for the Olay bodywash and a
$4 ECB for the Oral B toothbrushes
She handed me a third ECB for $16! I was expecting a coupon for the movie for $3.99 but it is a $16 ECB!!!!

So my transaction turned into a $3.71 profit. WOW!
And before I get lots of questions, the store I went to had tons and tons of Dawn. I was even informed they had more "upstairs".

13 comments:

Julia said...

I live in Houston and love reading your blog. Just last week I had a great Kroger run thanks to you. Now I have a question: How do you get 25 like coupons 2 days after they come out? I assume ordering them would take longer than that. Thanks for answering!

katycouponers said...

Julia, as I stated in this post http://katycouponers.blogspot.com/2010/10/recycling-does-pay.html
I rely on friends, neighbors, coupon buddies and "finding" coupons. Also, the CVS ads are typically posted on HCW weeks ahead of coming out and there are several traders on HCW that get the Sunday inserts as early as the Tuesday beforehand. :)

Gille said...

What is HCW? I have a clue but looked in your lingo and couldn't find anything. Thanks.

katycouponers said...

Sorry about that Gille.
HCW is hotcouponworld
www.hotcouponworld.com

Daddy Day Dream said...

What was the $16 in ECB for?

katycouponers said...

Chris, the $16 ecb was for the P&G promo. Like I stated, I thought they were going to print a coupon to make the Toy Story 3 movie $3.99, but instead, they gave me a $16 ECB (movie 19.99 - 3.99 = $16 discount)

Since it is a $16 ECB, I don't actually have to buy the movie now (which is good because I prebought at Toys R Us :)

Anonymous said...

This is really awesome for you but not so awesome for all the people in the Sugar Land/Katy/Houston area looking for Olay soap forever and can't find it! Which CVS did you go to? I would like to go and get me some soap!

Julia said...

That makes sense. I'll need to head over there. Thanks Stephanie! :)

katycouponers said...

Anon, as stated, this store had TONS! This store knows me and does do special ordering (or rainchecks) when necessary. I would not have run the deal if it meant clearing the shelves.
This was the store on Hwy 6 and Brooks in Sugar Land

Tammy said...

Stephanie,

Anon, said "Olay" soap not Dawn. I totally believe you didn't clear the shelves.

Thanks for the post.

katycouponers said...

Tammy, I assumed anon meant Dawn with Olay. They might also be confusing the deal with the Kroger deal since everyone was having issues finding it.

Shane and Whitney said...

In College Station they told me that ECB never expire. Even though they have a date, they always take mine well after the expiration date. Is that not national?

katycouponers said...

Shane and Whitney- that is NOT national. It depends on each store whether they will take expired ecbs or not. Most stores here change their mind so often it isn't worth risking, but sounds like GREAT news for you

Post a Comment