Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Clean your house - Adopt a Soldier

Ok, hopefully my title caught your eye!

I have a confession to make to everyone:

I really really hate sample and trial size products. While it is GREAT to get a sample or trial size item free, I hate trying to store them. They don't always stack well. They take up space. They usually only have enough product for a couple days which means more trash or water to clean out plastic bottles to recycle. My list goes on and on why these little bottles of products annoy me. Fortunately, for me I was informed of a WONDERFUL website that will solve my angst and get the clutter OUT of my house!

Adopt a US Soldier is a 501 (c) 3 non profit organization that focuses on connecting supportive Americans with currently deployed soldiers. You can register on http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/ and a soldiers information will be emailed to you within a couple of days (at the latest!). You can then write letters, send cards or even care packages full of items to your soldier while he is deployed overseas. Some soldiers may contact you back on anywhere from a daily basis, to no contact at all. There are some 'silent soldiers' that have no access to internet or mail, so please do not be discourage. These soldiers need even more support than others! If anyone is interested in more information, please visit http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/.


Reader Jennifer contacted me and informed me she currently is a member of this organization and has two adopted soldiers. She has been sending care packages and was hoping to get together several items for gift bags for her soldiers to share with others in their unit. If you are local to the Katy area and want to contribute without adopting a soldier of your own, please contact Jennifer(jennifer @ theextremehousewife dot com) for more information.

For non-locals, take a look at the website. Trial size items are PERFECT for soldiers stationed overseas. This is a WIN-WIN situation. You help those serving our country with much needed items, and for those with families, you take that expense OUT of their budget AND you get a decluttered house! I know I have more Blistex, deodorant, razors, toothpaste, and fruit snacks then I will EVER be able to use, and these much needed items would certainly be appreciated by those soldiers stationed overseas. Judging from the quotes I read from the soldiers, this program is a SUCCESS.

0 comments:

Post a Comment